Teach main idea and details with a simple anchor chart. Use pizza which every kid can relate to to help teach what is the main idea and what are details. This mental image can help readers identify details in a story better and tell the main idea.
Main Idea and Details Anchor Chart
Create an easy to remember visual to teach students the difference between the main idea and supporting details. Use the pizza as a whole to explain that the main idea is made up of everything. Use favorite toppings suggested by the class to depict the details. Plus, there are key words to teach students to look out for when learning to find the main idea…
| Submit Your Tip |
Have You Seen
- Pizza Fractions Project in a Box
- 6 Ways to Teach “the Hard Stuff” with Food
- Pre-Writing Graphic Organizer – Persuasive, Narrative, Informational
More Anchor Charts
- Slim Anchor Chart Storage Trick
- How to Make Anchor Charts Interactive and Evergreen
- 10 Helpful Writing Prompt Ideas and Anchor Charts
Like what you've found?
Get creative and free teacher articles - delivered to your inbox weekly.
p.s. A bonus pack of 11 printable classroom posters are headed your way!