Here is an activity which helps kindergarten and 1st grade children to actually see that numbers from 1-10 are made up of parts like 2+3. It’s tons on fun! I start out by copying our Addition Mini Book and I die cut lots of pattern blocks.
(You don’t need our addition mini book or a die cut machine to do this. You can do it on paper with pattern blocks.)
Composing and Decomposing to 10 Activity with Pattern Blocks
Steps for Composing and Decomposing to 10 Activity with Pattern Blocks
- We all look at the first photo and pick a shape to represent 1.
- We glue it on the page.
- We copy the word that represents the shape to complete the sentence “1 is a ______.”
- We add any details to the shape with a marking pen.
- We write the number sentence 1 + 0 = 1.
You can make your own large charts using my photos as your guide…
- Runaway Pumpkins: FREE Math Board Game
- Spring Addition Game: Bee Stinging Sevens
- Addition Machine – What Goes In Must Come Out
Like what you've found?
Get creative and free teacher articles - delivered to your inbox weekly.
p.s. A bonus pack of 11 printable classroom posters are headed your way!