Here is an activity which helps kindergarten and 1st grade children to actually see that numbers from 1-10 are made up of parts like 2+3. It’s tons on fun! I start out by copying our Addition Mini Book and I die cut lots of pattern blocks.
(You don’t need our addition mini book or a die cut machine to do this. You can do it on paper with pattern blocks.)
Composing and Decomposing to 10 Activity with Pattern Blocks
Steps for Composing and Decomposing to 10 Activity with Pattern Blocks
- We all look at the first photo and pick a shape to represent 1.
- We glue it on the page.
- We copy the word that represents the shape to complete the sentence “1 is a ______.”
- We add any details to the shape with a marking pen.
- We write the number sentence 1 + 0 = 1.
You can make your own large charts using my photos as your guide…
- Runaway Pumpkins: FREE Math Board Game
- Spring Addition Game: Bee Stinging Sevens
- Addition Machine – What Goes In Must Come Out
We're Palma & Sarah, 2 kindergarten teachers from CA with over 45 years of teaching experience between us. We started KFUNdamentals because we believe that learning should be FUN. We present at conferences, blog, and have a TPT store. We hope you always "Keep the FUN in the FUNdamentals! "